Hello friends, today I want to share an all-time classic: my mouthwatering Steak Au Poivre Recipe! You’re in for a treat, as I’ll be showing you how to master this iconic French dish, step by step. With its signature blend of cracked black peppercorns, tender cuts of beef, and a creamy, rich sauce, Steak au Poivre is sure to become a favorite in your kitchen! In fact, this was one of my most popular recipes in my restaurant and cooking school. And now is one of my most popular YouTube videos with almost 3 million views.
So, what exactly is Steak Au Poivre? Well, it’s a classic French dish that translates to “pepper steak”, and it’s all about the flavors. The key to nailing this recipe is using the best quality steak you can get your hands on. Today we are making it with a tender and juicy strip steak. If you want something fancier, kick it up a notch and make a Filet au Poivre or a Peppercorn Fillet Mignon. And if you aren’t a huge steak fan you can even make Chicken Au Poivre. How ever you make it you are going to love it. It is simply amazing!
But for now picture this: a succulent, juicy steak, coated in a fiery black pepper crust, with a rich, creamy sauce that’ll make you want to lick the plate clean. Got it?
So what are we waiting for, let’s get cooking!
Amazing Steak Au Poivre Recipe!
- 4 Strip Steaks 8 to 10 ounces each trimmed
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Good quality Cognac
- 1 cup Rich Veal or Beef Stock
- 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tbsp Green Peppercorns without the brine
- 2 + tbsp Sweet Butter Add to taste
- Preheat Oven to 500º
- Cook the Steaks. Cover the steak generously with cracked black pepper.
- In an oven proof sauté pan, heat I tablespoon olive. When hot add the steaks, and cook on the stove top until golden brown on one side at Least 3 to 4 minutes. DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Flip them on other side and put in PREHEATED Oven. For medium rare you should reach an internal temperature of about 130º to 135º.
- Remove steaks from frying pan and let them rest while you make the pan sauce. Carefully deglaze the pan with several tablespoons of cognac. Be careful if you are going to flambé the fumes may create a huge flame. Add stock, cream and the peppercorns bring to boil and let it reduce and thicken for a few minutes. After the sauce has reached the right consistency turn the heat off and add as much butter as you wish!
- Spoon sauce over steak and serve immediately.
- Savory Beef Short Ribs Asian Style: A Culinary Masterpiece - June 1, 2023
- Chef Jean-Pierre Answers Your Questions - May 29, 2023
- Delicious Cassoulet Recipe: A Taste of French Comfort Food! - May 25, 2023
How does this sauce go with chicken breast
Hi I like your reciepies but what can I use instead of cognac thanks
Hi I like your recipes but what can I use instead of cognac thanks
Just skip the cognac or use a non-alcoholic cognac !
When cooking this recipe there is no alcohol remaining, just the flavors. Why? It has been burned off.
Excellent vid thanks
Where can I find the recipe for potato gratton?
I will be out on YouTube soon!!!