Filet au Poivre Just Could Be the Perfect Steak Recipe!
Filet au Poivre is French for Fillet with Pepper. Traditionally au Poivre is made with a filet mignon, coated with coarsely cracked peppercorns.
But au Poivre really can be made with any good quality steak or even chicken. In an earlier video on my YouTube Channel, I made a Steak au Poivre with Strip Steak. It’s also delicious as a Chicken Au Poivre recipe. But I promise you friends no matter what your favorite is, you are going to love this recipe!
Filet au Poivre (Filet Mignon with Peppercorn Sauce)
- 2 Filet Mignon 8 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoons Salt* (see note below)
- 2 tablespoons Clarified Butter
- 2 tablespoons appr. Cognac
- 1 cup Rich Veal or Beef Stock
- ¼ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon Green Peppercorns without the brine
- 2 tablespoons at least Sweet Butter
Preheat Oven to 500°F / 260°C
- Cover the Steak generously with salt and cracked black pepper.
- *If you have time (at least 2 hours) to salt your filet in advance please refer to this video to understand the best way to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVcTvHTn6Dw
- In an oven proof sauté pan, heat some clarified butter and when real hot about 365F to 400F. When hot add the filet, and cook them until golden brown on one side at Least 3 to 4 minutes. DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Flip them on other side and put in PREHEATED Oven. For medium rare you should reach an internal temperature of about 125º to 130º. Depending on the size it could take only a few minutes.
- Remove steaks from frying pan and let them rest while you make the pan sauce. If you feel that you may have too much fat in the pan after you take the filet out discard the extra and keep about 1 tablespoon max. Carefully deglaze the pan with cognac. Be careful if you are going to flambé the fumes may create a huge flame. Add stock, cream and the peppercorns bring to boil and let it reduce and thicken for a few minutes. After the sauce has reached the right consistency turn the heat OFF and add as much butter as you wish!
- Spoon sauce over steak and serve immediately.
- For the Green Bean recipe click on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDEDSCbS0AY
- For the Fondant Potatoes click on the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9KHqNkw4yU
You can find the items below used in making this dish at our online store!
- Savory Beef Short Ribs Asian Style: A Culinary Masterpiece - June 1, 2023
- Chef Jean-Pierre Answers Your Questions - May 29, 2023
- Delicious Cassoulet Recipe: A Taste of French Comfort Food! - May 25, 2023
I cannot thank You enough for your amazing cooking channel here on YouTube. I simply do not know what cooking was all about before I got to know you here.
Every single recipe i tried so far, works exactly as you told us. PERFECT! I got to get 53 years old, to find out what joy and elegance cooking with you can be.
If I had one wish free, i would kindly ask you for a little technical advice concerning the Mode of your Viking oven, i cannot exactly figure out how to set my oven here in germany because we obviously use different terms for the various oven modes.
I would appreciate your helping comments. When i did the steak au poivre and it came out of my oven it was not sizzling like it did in your Oven, allthough i had 250° Celsius.
Thx again for all the time, work and effort you put in this wonderful channel.
Thank you! 😊
Is your starting point for clarified butter as well as straight butter salted or unsalted?
Love your channel!
It does not matter either will work the same way! 😊