Filet au Poivre Just Could Be the Perfect Steak Recipe!
Filet au Poivre is Steak au Poivre made with a Filet Mignon. And Steak au Poivre is French for Pepper Steak. Traditionally Steak au Poivre is made with a filet mignon, coated with coarsely cracked peppercorns.
But Steak au Poivre really can be made with any good quality steak. In an earlier video on my YouTube Channel, I made it with a New York Steak. But I promise you friends no matter what your favorite steak is, you are going to love this recipe!
Filet au Poivre (Filet Mignon with Peppercorn Sauce)
- 2 Filet Mignon 8 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoons Salt* (see note below)
- 2 tablespoons Clarified Butter
- 2 tablespoons appr. Cognac
- 1 cup Rich Veal or Beef Stock
- ¼ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon Green Peppercorns without the brine
- 2 tablespoons at least Sweet Butter
Preheat Oven to 500°F / 260°C
- Cover the Steak generously with salt and cracked black pepper.
- *If you have time (at least 2 hours) to salt your filet in advance please refer to this video to understand the best way to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVcTvHTn6Dw
- In an oven proof sauté pan, heat some clarified butter and when real hot about 365F to 400F. When hot add the filet, and cook them until golden brown on one side at Least 3 to 4 minutes. DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Flip them on other side and put in PREHEATED Oven. For medium rare you should reach an internal temperature of about 125º to 130º. Depending on the size it could take only a few minutes.
- Remove steaks from frying pan and let them rest while you make the pan sauce. If you feel that you may have too much fat in the pan after you take the filet out discard the extra and keep about 1 tablespoon max. Carefully deglaze the pan with cognac. Be careful if you are going to flambé the fumes may create a huge flame. Add stock, cream and the peppercorns bring to boil and let it reduce and thicken for a few minutes. After the sauce has reached the right consistency turn the heat OFF and add as much butter as you wish!
- Spoon sauce over steak and serve immediately.
- For the Green Bean recipe click on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDEDSCbS0AY
- For the Fondant Potatoes click on the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9KHqNkw4yU