Black Cherry Clafoutis (Custard Pie)
1 cup flour
1 ¼ cups sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup ½ & ½
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Non-stick baking spray
3 cups sweet black cherries, pitted and well drained (if canned or frozen drain very well)
2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- Preheat Oven to 275°
- In a blender, combine the flour, sugar, salt, eggs, milk, cream and vanilla. Blend thoroughly.
- Generously spray the bottom of a 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with a non-stick spray. Spread the cherries evenly on the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the batter slowly over the berries.
- Set the baking dish inside a large lasagna style pan, add hot water to ¾” from top rim of the cups, creating a hot water bath. Bake for 1 ½ hours or until the tip of a small knife inserted in the center of the custard comes out clean. Take out of Bain Marie* and let rest at roon temperature for at least 2 hours and refrigerate at least 4 to 5 hours or better yet overnight.
- Set the cold Clafoutis again in a baking dish or a large lasagna style pan, add hot water to ¾” from top rim creating another hot water bath. This will help releasing the custard and invert the pie on a cold plate.
- Serve cold or at room temperature and sprinkle powdered sugar in the top.