Lobster Thermidor Recipe
Hello friends, Lobster Thermidor is a classic and very special dish. Serving it for a special dinner is sure to impress. Follow this step-by-step guide to make this amazing dish.
For the Lobster:
- 1 x 2 ½ pound Live Lobster
For the Sauce:
- 3 ounces plus 2 tablespoons of Sweet Butter
- 4 ounces White Mushrooms sliced
- About ¼ cup Shallots finely minced
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Tarragon or Thyme freshly chopped I(if using dry use ½ as much)
- 2 cups of Hot Milk, have a little more in case you need it
- ½ cup White Wine, optional
- 2 tablespoons Country Mustard
- 1 or 2 dash Cayenne Pepper
- 4 ounces Gruyere or Swiss Cheese grated (save about 1 ounces for topping at the end)
- 1 ounce Reggiano Cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons Cream Cheery, optional
- 2 tablespoons Cognac, optional
Cook the Lobster:
- Fill a large pot with salted water (like you would cook pasta) and bring it to boil. Kill the lobster with a knife inserted in the back of the head vertically and bring it down in one swift motion. Immediately submerge the lobster in the boiling water and cook it for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Take the lobster out of the water and immerse it immediately in ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Cut the lobster in half and empty the meat from the body and the claws. Rinse the empty shell carefully not to brake it and using paper towel dry the inside and set in a baking dish ready to be filled with the sauce.
Prepare the Sauce:
- It is easier to use two separate sauce pans to make this dish. In the first pan, heat 2 tablespoons of butter, when hot add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and sauté until all the water has evaporated. Add the lobster pieces and cook for a couple minutes. Add the tarragon, white wine and let us reduce until approx. half remains.
- At the same time, In the other pan, heat 3 ounces butter, when hot add the shallots and cook for a couple minutes. Add the flour to make a roux and cook it at low heat for a few minutes. Add the milk and mix well. Add the tomalley from the lobster if you saved it. Add the mustard, cayenne add the cheese add the cream cherry. Pour the content of the pan above in this pan and blend well and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Fill each lobster half with the sauce above and top with more Swiss Cheese and Reggiano Parmesan. If you are ready to eat them now put them under the broiler until golden brown. If you are making them in advance, refrigerate until ready to eat. At that point preheat your oven to 375°F. and bake them until the internal temperature is 155°F. If the top is not golden brown put them under the broiler until golden brown.
Latest posts by Chef Jean-Pierre (see all)
- My Best Gazpacho Soup Recipe: Chilled to Perfection - August 24, 2023
- Simply The Best Deviled Eggs Recipe: Eggstraordinary! - August 21, 2023
- How To Make Crème Fraiche: Creamy & Delicious! - August 20, 2023