A Delicious French Toast Recipe – One of My Favorite Breakfast Foods!
I love French toast, this is one of my all-time favorite breakfast dishes. And it is also perfect for lunch, especially the way I make it. It’s simple and such a delicious recipe!
So, who invented French toast?
The dish we know as “French toast” actually dates back to ancient Rome, where it was known as “Pan Dulcis.” This early version was made with stale bread that was soaked in milk and then fried.
The French began making their own version of the dish in the 16th century, calling it “pain perdu,” or “lost bread,” because it was a way to use up stale bread that would otherwise be thrown away.
The French toast we know and love today actually originated in America, where it was popularized by colonial cooks who adapted the dish to suit their own tastes. It wasn’t until the 18th century that the dish began to be known by its French name, “pain perdu.”
What is the Secret for the best French Toast?
The first secret is to use the right bread. I like to use nice, thick bread slices of brioche bread. But you certainly can also use a nice French bread or even challah bread.
For extra flavor, the ingredients I like to add to the egg mixture includes a little bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, and Tahitian vanilla extract.
Once you’ve soaked your toasted bread slices in the egg mixture, all you need to do is fry them in a little bit of butter. Be sure to bring your frying pan up to temperature before placing your French toast bread slice in the pan.
Serve with my special berries syrup (see below) or even some warm maple syrup, and you’ve got yourself a delicious breakfast.
Here’s what I think is my most important secret to making the best French toast recipe
I love to make a special syrup with fresh berries, a little powdered sugar, and a touch of Grand Marnier! You can also use a mixed berry coulis.
Of course, if you don’t want alcohol, or if you are making it for the kids, you can substitute orange juice, or use maple syrup. Oh, oh, oh you’re going to love this one friends!
This truly is the perfect French toast recipe, delicious!
My Best French Toast Recipe with a Special Syrup! Delicious!
You can find the items below used in making this dish at our online store!
For the Toast:
- 4 thick slices of Brioche Bread or any bread you like previously toasted and a light toasty brown
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar or more if you like it very sweet
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Tahitian Vanilla, use whatever kind of vanilla you have on hand
For the Fruits:
- 2 tablespoons of Sweet Butter
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Grand Marnier or OJ for the kids version
- Maple Syrup to drizzle on top of the toast
- Powder Sugar
For the Toast:
- In a frying pan large enough to host your bread heat about 2 tablespoons of sweet (not salted) butter.
- Mix all the ingredients in a lasagna pan. And dip the bread in there for about one minute. Be careful, too long will make the bread soggy and mushy.
- Add to your pan and cook them until a beautiful golden brown.
For the Fruits:
- In another smaller pan, heat 1 or 2 tablespoons of sweet butter and when hot add about ¼ cup of sugar, add Grand Marnier. When hot, add the strawberries and other berries and cook them for a couple minutes.
- Add two golden toasts on each plate and drizzle with Maple Syrup and top with fruits.
Following are some common FAQs about French Toast
- What are some common toppings for the best French toast?
- How do you make French toast not soggy?
- Can French Toast be made in advance?
- Can you store cooked French toast?
- How long does cooked French Toast last?
- Can I freeze French Toast?
- What kind of breads make the best French toast?
- Can you make a savory French toast?
- What are the most common mistakes when making French Toast?