Crispy, Gooey, and Irresistible: Discover the Secrets to the Perfect Croque Monsieur!
Today, I’m gonna show you how to make the most scrumptious breakfast sandwich you’ll ever taste – the Croque Monsieur! A recipe that’s going to elevate your breakfast game to a whole new level.
Now, this classic French dish has been around since the early 1900s and has been a favorite among Parisians and foodies alike. The name “Croque Monsieur” roughly translates to “Mister Crunch” in English, and let me tell you, this sandwich certainly lives up to its name!
Our Croque Monsieur recipe is the perfect way to start your day with a smile. We’re going to be using some high-quality ingredients like crusty bread, savory ham, creamy mornay sauce, and, of course, the pièce de résistance – gooey, melted Gruyère cheese. This heavenly combination will transport you straight to a Parisian bistro, right in the comfort of your own home. Trust me, folks, this sandwich is pure magic on a plate.
So, get your taste buds ready, ’cause we’re about to cook up a storm with this Croque Monsieur Recipe!
Croque Monsieur Recipe - The best Ham & Cheese Sandwich ever!
Makes 2 Sandwiches
- 4 slices of Sandwich Bread crust removed and lightly toasted
- ¼ pounds Baked Ham sliced very thinly
Mornay Sauce (makes enough for at least 4 Sandwiches)
- 2 ounces 4 tablespoons Sweet Butter
- 1 ounce 5 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Hot Milk
- 1 ½ cup about 5 ounces Gruyere or Swiss Cheese grated
- 1 cup Parmesan Reggiano grated
- 2 ounces Brie Cheese optional
- 2 ounces Cream
- 3 Egg Yolks
For the Mornay Sauce:
- In a saucepan, heat the butter and when melted add the flour mix well and add the milk and whisk well until very smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cheeses and cook the sauce for 10 minutes. Add the cream and quickly mix in the egg yolks. Cover the sauce with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours to let the sauce solidify.
Preheat the Oven to 450F / 230C
- Place one slice of the lightly toasted bread on a cookie sheet and add a little mornay sauce. Add the ham slices on top of the sauce, add more mornay sauce and add a little more gruyere. Add another slice of bread on top and squeeze the sandwich. Add a couple tablespoons of the mornay sauce on the top of the sandwich. And bake in the oven until golden brown.
- For a Croque Madame just place a cooked sunny side egg on top.
- My Best Gazpacho Soup Recipe: Chilled to Perfection - August 24, 2023
- Simply The Best Deviled Eggs Recipe: Eggstraordinary! - August 21, 2023
- How To Make Crème Fraiche: Creamy & Delicious! - August 20, 2023