Croque Monsieur Recipe - The best Ham & Cheese Sandwich ever!
You can find the items below used in making this dish at our online store!
Makes 2 Sandwiches
- 4 slices of Sandwich Bread crust removed and lightly toasted
- ¼ pounds Baked Ham sliced very thinly
Mornay Sauce (makes enough for at least 4 Sandwiches)
- 2 ounces 4 tablespoons Sweet Butter
- 1 ounce 5 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Hot Milk
- 1 ½ cup about 5 ounces Gruyere or Swiss Cheese grated
- 1 cup Parmesan Reggiano grated
- 2 ounces Brie Cheese optional
- 2 ounces Cream
- 3 Egg Yolks
For the Mornay Sauce:
- In a saucepan, heat the butter and when melted add the flour mix well and add the milk and whisk well until very smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cheeses and cook the sauce for 10 minutes. Add the cream and quickly mix in the egg yolks. Cover the sauce with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours to let the sauce solidify.
Preheat the Oven to 450F / 230C
- Place one slice of the lightly toasted bread on a cookie sheet and add a little mornay sauce. Add the ham slices on top of the sauce, add more mornay sauce and add a little more gruyere. Add another slice of bread on top and squeeze the sandwich. Add a couple tablespoons of the mornay sauce on the top of the sandwich. And bake in the oven until golden brown.
- For a Croque Madame just place a cooked sunny side egg on top.