Pasta E Fagioli Recipe, Just Like Mom's!
Hello friends, Pasta E Fagioli today! I'm bringing it back to when my Mom and my Grandmother made it! One of my all-time favorite soups, Pasta E Fagioli or Pasta and Beans! The perfect soup on a cold winter day!
- 4 ounces of Pancetta, Lard or Bacon diced
- 1 large Onion diced
- 1 ½ cups Celery small diced
- 1 ½ cups Carrots small diced
- 1 large Leek very small diced (use only the light green and white parts)
- 2 teaspoons Garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chili Flake or ½ of a Fresh Chili Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon of Thyme or Rosemary freshly chopped or use a mix of both
- 1 tablespoon of Oregano freshly chopped
- 2 cups of Tomato Sauce or Tomatoes chopped or Tomato Puree
- 10 to 12 cups Chicken Stock or Broth
- 1 x 29 ounce Cannellini or White Kidney Beans
- ½ lb of a Small Cavatelli or any Small Pasta
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a soup kettle, heat the Pancetta AT LOW HEAT until the fat has rendered. Add the onion and cook until light golden brown. Add the carrots and celery and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the leek, garlic, chili pepper, parsley, thyme, Oregano, tomatoes, and stock, and cook for 30 minutes. Add the beans with their liquid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove about 3 cups of the cooked vegetables and beans with a strainer. Using an emersion blender, puree the vegetables and beans left in the pot until very smooth.
- Add the pasta, 3 cups of vegetables that was removed and cook for as long as it takes to thoroughly cook (at least 15/20 minutes). AT THIS TIME, BE CAREFUL TO STIR THE BOTTOM OF THE POT CONSTANTLY!!! OTHERWISE, THE PUREED BEANS WILL ATTACH TO THE BOTTOM OF THE POT.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper AND the consistency to your liking, the Chef added another 2 cups of stock at the end.
You can find the items below used in making this dish at our online store!
Like this recipe?Please share it with your family and friends!