An Awesome Minestrone Soup Recipe – Italian Comfort Food in a Bowl!
Minestrone Soup is a hearty Italian soup that is traditionally made with a combination of vegetables, beans, and pasta. The word minestrone comes from the Italian word for soup, “minestra”. While the vegetables in this popular soup may vary depending on the region, resulting in many variations, the basic ingredients remain the same, tomatoes, carrots, celery, and beans. And is typically seasoned with garlic, basil, and oregano, and is often topped and served with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
This delicious soup is a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables, and it makes a satisfying lunch or light dinner. While it can be enjoyed any time of year, it is especially comforting in the colder months. I am telling you, friends, if you’re looking for a delicious and nourishing meal, you’ve got to give this Minestrone Soup Recipe a try!
Is Minestrone Soup a main dish or a side dish?
Minestrone is a delicious and hearty Italian soup that is packed with vegetables, beans, and pasta. It is perfect for a cold winter day or a lazy weekend lunch. It is usually served as a main dish, however, it can also be a nice accompaniment to a more substantial main course. Whether you enjoy it as a main dish or a side dish, Minestrone is a delicious way to enjoy all the best that seasonal vegetables have to offer.
What side dishes go well with Minestrone Soup?
While Minestrone is delicious on its own, it can also be served with a variety of side dishes. Crusty bread is a classic accompaniment and is exceptionally delicious with Restaurant Style Garlic Bread, which can help to soak up all of the delicious broth.
A simple green salad with a delicious Vinaigrette Dressing is another excellent option, and it can help to balance out the richness of the soup. For a heartier meal, Minestrone can also be served with Roasted Chicken or a delicious Meatloaf.
Minestrone Soup is also delicious with a grilled cheese sandwich or is perfect with a Croque Monsieur, a French version of a Grilled Ham and Cheese. No matter what you choose to serve with your Minestrone Soup, it is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
What wine pairs well with Minestrone Soup?
Minestrone Soup pairs well with a number of different wines, here are just a few different options to consider. A light-bodied red wine, such as a Pinot Noir, will complement the soup without overpowering it. For a white wine option, try a dry Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc. If you’re looking for a sparkling wine option, look for an Italian Prosecco is an excellent choice. Two other delicious Italian wines to consider when enjoying a nice warm bowl of Minestrone Soup is most certainly a Chianti Classico or a Sangiovese di Romagna thanks to their acidity and pleasant freshness, and of course, they are Italian!
Who created Minestrone Soup?
The answer is a bit of a mystery. It is believed Minestrone Soup originated in the earliest days of Rome before it expanded into the Roman Empire making it one of the oldest soups in existence. During this time the ancient diet was mostly vegetarian because that was what they mostly had. Over the centuries, Minestrone Soup has evolved into a staple of Italian cuisine.
Today’s Minestrone is packed with vegetables, beans, and pasta. Despite its name, there is no one definitive recipe for Minestrone Soup. Instead, this dish evolved with different regions of Italy developing their own unique versions. Minestrone eventually made its way to America, where it became a favorite among Italian-American immigrants. Today, this delicious soup can be found on menus all over the world.
What is the best way to store Minestrone Soup?
The best way to store Minestrone is to first allow it to cool completely. Then, transfer the soup to an airtight container and place it in the fridge. Leftover Minestrone soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. It can also be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months, making it a perfect meal to prepare in advance.
I suggest freezing it in serving-size portions. That way you do not need to defrost more than you need at any one particular time. When you are ready to eat your Minestrone Soup, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave. Add a little water or broth if the soup is too thick. Your Minestrone Soup will be just as delicious, maybe even more so, as the day it was made! By following these simple storage tips, you can enjoy delicious Minestrone soup any time of year.
So, let’s get cooking!
The Best Minestrone Soup Recipe!
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 cups Onion cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 2 cups Carrots cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 2 cups Celery cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 3 cups White Potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons of Thyme freshly chopped (use ½ if dried herbs)
- 2 tablespoons Garlic minced
- 8 to 10 cups Vegetable Stock*
- 1 pound Green Beans, ends removed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups Tomatoes chopped, ONLY if you stock does not contain any tomatoes
- 10 to 12 cups Vegetable Stock
- ¼ cup Parsley chopped
- ½ pound Cavatelli Pasta, or any small pasta like Orecchiette or Orzo
- 1 28 ounce can Cooked Cannellini Beans (the Chef prefers the Goya brand)
- ¼ cup packed Basil Leaves
- 1 head of Escarole Lettuce or Green Leaves cut into large chiffonade
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 cup Reggiano Parmesan grated
- ¼ cup Pesto for decoration
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Makes 12/14 Servings
- In a large soup kettle, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion. When translucent, add the carrots, celery, potatoes and garlic. Add the stock and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 30 minutes at medium heat.
- Add green beans and chopped parsley cook for 15 more minutes.
- Add the pasta, basil and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans and the lettuce.
- Add the pesto and parmesan just before serving.
You can find the items below used in making this dish at our online store!
- My Best Gazpacho Soup Recipe: Chilled to Perfection - August 24, 2023
- Simply The Best Deviled Eggs Recipe: Eggstraordinary! - August 21, 2023
- How To Make Crème Fraiche: Creamy & Delicious! - August 20, 2023