Hello friends, today I am sharing another Shepherd’s Pie Recipe different from my last Shepherd’s Pie! In the last recipe, I made it with ground beef. I know, I know that is not the “proper” way to make it. After all, shepherds don’t herd cows, they herd sheep! So this time I have made it with lamb, and boy is it good! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
How to Make a Shepherd's Pie That's the Real Deal... Kind Of!
- 2 tablespoons of Clarified Butter or your favorite cooking oil
- 2 pounds of Ground Lamb Shoulder or Ground Chuck 80/20
- 1 large Onion diced
- 4 ounces Mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon Thyme freshly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Rosemary freshly chopped
- ¼ cup all purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cup Good Red Wine (the Chef used a Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 2 tablespoons Garlic chopped
- 1 cup Carrots cut into dice very small
- 6 ounces Tomato Puree
- 12 ounces Chicken Stock
- 2 tablespoons Parsley chopped
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 ½ cup Peas defrosted
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6 ounces Cheddar grated
- 3 ounces Parmigiana Reggiano grated
- Approximately 8 cups of Mashed Potatoes
The lasagna pan used in the video is 12-inches x 8 ½ inches x 2.5-inches deep.
Preheat Oven to 350°F / 175°C
- Using 2 frying pan, heat some clarified butter or your favorite cooking oil when hot at 365F / 185C, add the meat in one pan and sauté the meat until golden brown (this could take 10/12 minutes).
- In the other fry pan, heat some clarified butter or your favorite cooking oil when hot at 365F / 185C, add the onion, when it turns golden brown, add the mushroom cook until they have released all their water. And reserve for a later use.
- In the first frying pan, with the golden-brown meat, add the thyme, rosemary. Add the flour and mix well. Add the wine and let it reduce for 1 minute or 2. Add the carrots, the garlic, tomato puree, chicken stock and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 15/20 minutes at low heat!
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, reserved mushrooms and onion from the other frying pan and peas and cook the mixture for a few minutes until it thickens slightly.
- To put the recipe together follow the technique on the video.
- Place in a preheated Oven for about 45/60 minutes until the top layer is golden brown. If after 45 minutes it is not brown enough, put it under the broiler for a few minutes.
- My Best Gazpacho Soup Recipe: Chilled to Perfection - August 24, 2023
- Simply The Best Deviled Eggs Recipe: Eggstraordinary! - August 21, 2023
- How To Make Crème Fraiche: Creamy & Delicious! - August 20, 2023