How to Make Potatoes Au Gratin without a Mandolin
Hi everyone, today’s recipe is an update to a Potato Au Gratin Recipe I made a couple of years ago. In the original Potato Au Gratin video, I made the dish the traditional way with a mandolin. If you have a mandolin and are comfortable using it, you should try this wonderful recipe.
The recipe today is for those folks who do not have a mandolin or may not feel comfortable using one. If you don’t I get it because it can be a dangerous tool.
So let me show you how to make this amazing dish without a mandolin.
Potato Au Gratin - Steakhouse Style
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- 4 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 6 to 8 Garlic Cloves minced or cut super thin
- 4 ounces of Cheddar Cheese grated
- 4 ounces of Gruyere grated
- 2 ounces of Mozzarella grated
- Salt and Pepper to taste
The Chef used an 8” X 11” / 20 cm X 28 cm / 2 QT / 2 liters Lasagna Pan
Preheat Oven to 375ºF / 190ºC
- Slice the potatoes and immediately put them in a pot with 4 cups of cream with the nutmeg, garlic and salt and pepper. Cook the potatoes until 90% cooked. Be sure they do not break up too much.
- Removed the part-cooked potatoes into a large plate or another lasagna pan to stop the cooking process.
- Add the cheeses to the cream mixture, reserving ½ of the mozzarella for the top. Mix well until all the cheese has melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Rub the lasagna pan’s bottom with butter and arrange your first layer of the potatoes, top with some cream mixture, top with more potatoes and continue until you have used all your potatoes.
- Top the dish with the remaining mozzarella. Place the lasagna pan into a cookie sheet (in case your dish overflow) and place in a preheated oven until golden brown.
You can find the items below used in making this dish at our online store!
- The Best Shrimp and Lobster Bisque – A Seafood Lover’s Dream! - March 20, 2023
- Stuffed Chicken Breast Wrapped in Bacon! - March 16, 2023
- Creating Flavorful Compound Butter Has Never Been Easier! - March 13, 2023
I love your recipes and my Partner never cooked after watching you channel he started cooking and he follows your recipes to the teeth, they come out delicious.
I have tried your Chicken Cake and
Mushroom also the Spinach and cheese but I add Lasagna sheets came out beautiful thank you for you inspirational cooking.
Chandi from Australia
Thank you for the kind words, Chandi!
Its comments like yours keep us motivated to produce great content!
Very nice dish; i have tried many of your dishes and i always love the explanations you give.
Can you actually use half milk / half cream ? in order to make it less heavy
Yes you can! 🙂
This looks and sounds delicious! I will be making this this weekend but was wondering if it can be made in advance, refrigerated and then just baked off when mealtime arrives?
Yes, by all means, make it in advance and bake it when ready to heat! 😊
Thank you for this recipe. My husband will love it. It is so easy. I love your cooking show. And I love you. You make my day. The way you teach makes me laugh and adore you. You make cooking easy. I have learned so much from you. I love Jack too. I would love to see Jack once in awhile. I assume you make enough food for him also. You are very kind.
Thank you for the kind words!
It is comments like yours that keeps us motivated to produce great content!
You mentioned that you were going to add Brie cheese. Can you please tell me how much Brie to add in addition to the other cheeses? I rate EVERYTHING you make a 5* because I make ALL of them and both my husband and I think they are AMAZING!
Thank GOD for your amazing talent!! Thank you for sharing it with the world!! <3
Thank you so much! Add about 4 ounces of Brie! 😊