How to Make Potatoes Au Gratin without a Mandolin
Hi everyone, today’s recipe is an update to a Potato Au Gratin Recipe I made a couple of years ago. In the original Potato Au Gratin video, I made the dish the traditional way with a mandolin. If you have a mandolin and are comfortable using it, you should try this wonderful recipe.
The recipe today is for those folks who do not have a mandolin or may not feel comfortable using one. If you don’t I get it because it can be a dangerous tool.
So let me show you how to make this amazing dish without a mandolin.
Potato Au Gratin - Steakhouse Style
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- 4 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 6 to 8 Garlic Cloves minced or cut super thin
- 4 ounces of Cheddar Cheese grated
- 4 ounces of Gruyere grated
- 2 ounces of Mozzarella grated
- Salt and Pepper to taste
The Chef used an 8” X 11” / 20 cm X 28 cm / 2 QT / 2 liters Lasagna Pan
Preheat Oven to 375ºF / 190ºC
- Slice the potatoes and immediately put them in a pot with 4 cups of cream with the nutmeg, garlic and salt and pepper. Cook the potatoes until 90% cooked. Be sure they do not break up too much.
- Removed the part-cooked potatoes into a large plate or another lasagna pan to stop the cooking process.
- Add the cheeses to the cream mixture, reserving ½ of the mozzarella for the top. Mix well until all the cheese has melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Rub the lasagna pan’s bottom with butter and arrange your first layer of the potatoes, top with some cream mixture, top with more potatoes and continue until you have used all your potatoes.
- Top the dish with the remaining mozzarella. Place the lasagna pan into a cookie sheet (in case your dish overflow) and place in a preheated oven until golden brown.
- My Best Gazpacho Soup Recipe: Chilled to Perfection - August 24, 2023
- Simply The Best Deviled Eggs Recipe: Eggstraordinary! - August 21, 2023
- How To Make Crème Fraiche: Creamy & Delicious! - August 20, 2023