Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe – The Perfect Side Dish!
Hello Friends, today I am going to share with you an easy recipe walking you through how to make Potatoes Au Gratin. The perfect side dish to a Steak Au Poivre.
In fact it is the perfect side dish for just about any meal. I serve it alongside chicken, lamb, pork, fish or you can even eat it as a stand-alone dish. I love eating the extra trimmings off the tray, makes for an amazing snack! I know you’re going to love it too!
An Amazing Recipe - How to Make Potatoes Au Gratin!
- 3 lbs Sweet Potatoes
- 3 lbs Baking Potatoes
- 1 large clove Garlic
- 1+ tbps Sweet Butter More the better!
- 3 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup freshly grated great quality Swiss Cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated aged Gouda
- 1 cup grated Reggiano Parmesan
- 6 Egg Yolks
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper
- Preheat Oven to 275°
- Makes 8 to 10 Servings (lasagna style pan approximately 8” X 12”)
- Peel potatoes and using a mandolin into 1/16" slice. Keeping the two type of potatoes separate.
- Coat the bottom of a baking dish or a cookie sheet with a generous tablespoon of butter, or spray the bottom of the dish with a non-stick spray. Heat the cream. In a glass bowl, mix the eggs, salt and pepper and nutmeg; add the hot cream slowly to temper the eggs.
- Line the bottom of the dish with a event layer of the sweet potatoes, top it with a thin and even layer of the parmesan, top it with an event layer of the regular potatoes, and pour some of the cream mixture to barely cover. Top it with an even and thin layer of the Swiss cheese and continue to build the dish in any order you like, just be sure to add all the cheese and as much of the cream as you can. Before placing in the oven be sure to press down the potatoes, so that the top is very wet with the cream. Top with an even and thin layer of the parmesan.
- Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until a you can insert a knife in the center and feel that the potatoes are cooked all the way through. At this point you can let them rest for about 1 hour before serving or you can let them cool at room temperature then refrigerate them to serve them the next day. Just be sure to cut them in the portion size you would like to serve them before you reheat them in a preheat oven at 275˚ for about 15 to 20 minutes.
You can find the items below used in making this dish at our online store!
- Savory Beef Short Ribs Asian Style: A Culinary Masterpiece - June 1, 2023
- Chef Jean-Pierre Answers Your Questions - May 29, 2023
- Delicious Cassoulet Recipe: A Taste of French Comfort Food! - May 25, 2023