Hello there friends, Today is all about a Traditional Spaghetti Carbonara. Made the way my Mom makes it, if I made it with a real Cream Sauce the Italian recipe police will be after me :). So I’m not going to do that! I am going to show you how to make it the traditional way. This is a foolproof Carbonara recipe that can be done super quickly and you probably have all the ingredients laying around right now!
- 4 whole Eggs
- 2 oz. Pecorino Cheese
- 3 oz. Parmesan Cheese
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 4 oz. Guanciale (Skin removed) or Pancetta or Bacon, if you cannot find the other two
- 10 oz. Spaghettoni or Thick Spaghetti
- In a Glass bowl, mix the eggs with Parmesan, Pecorino cheese and Pepper.
- In a low heat frying pan, heat the Guanciale to render the fat and caramelize the lean meat. Removing a couple tablespoons of the fat and set aside.
- Cook the pasta for 10 to 13 minutes (following the manufacturer directions) in salted water.
REDUCE THE HEAT TO THE FRY PAN TO A MEDIUM TO LOW HEAT!!!
- Transfer the pasta from the boiling water to the fry pan. Mix and toss in the egg mixture. Be sure to vigorously mix to avoid scrambling the eggs. (This is when the French add about 4 ounces of heavy whipping cream) Stir in a few oz. of pasta cooking water.
- Divide in serving plate and a little fat save from sautéing the Guanciale and shaved more cheese and freshly ground black pepper.