Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe – For The Ultimate Comfort Food
This Shepherd’s Pie Recipe is one of my all-time favorites. It’s warm and savory and even better when made with my signature buttery Yukon gold mashed potatoes. And best of all, it’s incredibly easy to make. Click here for my Delicious Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe.
Traditionally Shepherd’s Pie is made with lamb, but today I am going to make it with beef. So for you sticklers out there, this would be more of a cottage pie! However, cottage pie normally has a sliced potatoes toppings.
Shepherd’s pie is typically considered an all-in-one meal because it contains meat and vegetables. However, you can always add additional side dishes to round out the meal if you desire. Some popular side dish options include roasted vegetables, green beans, or other vegetable sides. Additionally, shepherd’s pie often goes well with a variety of different sauces or toppings, so feel free to get creative.
There’s nothing quite like a warm and hearty shepherd’s pie, straight out of the oven. But if you’re looking for something that’s just as good (if not better), then you’ll want to try reheating shepherd’s pie the next day. This gives the flavors time to meld together and results in an even tastier dish.
The key to getting a perfect slice of Shepherd’s Pie is to refrigerate it and then reheat it after cutting. This helps the filling to set and allows you to get clean, neat slices. Trust me, this dish is worth the extra effort. So go ahead and give it a try. You won’t be disappointed!
How long will Shepherd’s Pie last in the fridge?
Shepherd’s pie is easy to make ahead of time and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. When you’re ready to eat, simply remove the shepherd’s pie from the fridge and reheat it in the oven. shepherd’s pie is also freezer-friendly and can be stored for up to three months. So whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight meal or planning ahead for a busy month, shepherd’s pie is always a delicious option.
What is the best way to reheat shepherd’s pie?
The best way to reheat shepherd’s pie is in a 350-degree oven. Cover the pie with foil and heat for about 20 minutes, or until the filling is hot and bubbly. Then, remove the foil and heat for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the potato topping is crispy.
You can also reheat shepherd’s pie in the microwave, while the potato topping won’t get crisp as it will in an oven, the pie will get hot and tasty. But because a Shepherd’s Pie can be dense be sure to use a low setting and heat it long enough to ensure you heat it all the way through.
How to Make a Shepherd’s Pie
- ¼ cup of Clarified Butter or Butter Olive Oil
- 2 - 3 cups Onion minced
- 2 ½ pounds of Ground Beef, Ground Chuck 80/20, Lamb or Pork (Chef used ground Short Ribs
- 4 ounces Mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup Carrots cut into dice small
- 2 tablespoons Garlic minced
- 1 28 ounces can of Plum Tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 4 ounces Tomato Puree
- 2 cup Frozen Peas
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Rosemary finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme finely chopped
- ½ cup Beef Stock
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 6 ounces Cheddar grated
- 3 ounces Parmigiana Reggiano grated
- Garlic Salt and Pepper to taste
- Approximately 8 cups of Mash Potatoes
The lasagna pan used in the video is 13-inches x 9-inches x 2.5-inches deep
Preheat Oven to 375F / 190C
- If you have two frying pans. Heat some clarified butter or butter olive oil in both pans until 365F / 185C and follow the technique on the video.
- If you only want to use one frying pan, heat some clarified butter or butter olive oil in both pans until 365F / 185C, sauté the onions until golden brown, add the mushrooms and sauté them until they have release their water. Add the carrots and cook until tender. Remove all ingredients and reserve in a bowl. Clean you pan and now sauté the meat until golden brown. Add the carrots and cook until tender. When the meat is golden brown and the carrots are tender, add the tomatoes, tomato puree, fresh herbs, beef stock and using a strainer like the chef did sprinkle the flour on top and mix well. Add the peas and cook the mixture for a few minutes until it thickens slightly.To put the recipe together follow the technique on the video.