- 3 tablespoons Sweet Butter
- 3 large Onions minced, about 4 cups
- 1 large Leek cut 1/4"inch thick, about 1 cup, white part and light green only
- 2 large Shallots minced
- 14 to 16 ounces Baby Portobello and Regular Button Mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons Sage, Thyme or Rosemary chopped, if you use dry herbs ONLY use a couple teaspoons
- ½ cup Parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons Garlic minced
- 36 ounces Beef tock
- 60 ounces Chicken Stock
- ¼ cup Port Wine
- ABOUT ½ cup of Cornstarch diluted into ½ cup water or whatever you need
- ½ to 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, optional
- Porcini Mushroom Salt or Regular Salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot heat butter and when hot add the onions and cook at medium high heat to caramelize, until golden brown. This could take 15 to 20 minutes. When the onions are nice and golden brown, add the leek and shallots and sauté them for a few minutes as well.
- In the meantime in a frying pan, add the mushrooms and salt and sauté until they have released ALL their water. This could take another 15 to 20 minutes
- Save about 1 cup of the onion mix, mushroom and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley for presentation when serving,
- Back in the stock pot, add the mushrooms on top of the onion mix, garlic, sage beef stock and chicken stock and bring to boil.
- Cook very slowly for 25 to 30 minutes. Add the wines and cream and adjust seasoning and texture with the cornstarch!