How to Caramelize Onions
Hello friends, Caramelized Onion is a staple in my kitchen and should be in yours too! I use it just as often, if not more than the other condiments in my kitchen. Once you try these onions you will never want to eat an onion any other way!
4 very large Onions
2 tablespoons Sweet Butter
1 tablespoon Butter Infused Olive Oil if you have some otherwise Extra Virgin Olive Oil if fine
½ cup Light Brown or Regular Sugar
½ cup Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven at very low heat, cook the onions covered (no oil, no water nothing) just the onions for about 60 to 90 minutes. When cooked drain and set aside.
- After the onions have drained all the water, in a sauté pan, heat the olive oil and butter at a medium heat, add the “drained” onion and cook until light golden brown.
- Add the sugar and the vinegar. Cook for at least 10 minutes at very low heat. Season with salt and pepper. The onions are supposed to be NOT sweet NOT sour.Perfect balanced!
Latest posts by Chef Jean-Pierre (see all)
- The Best Shrimp and Lobster Bisque – A Seafood Lover’s Dream! - March 20, 2023
- Stuffed Chicken Breast Wrapped in Bacon! - March 16, 2023
- Creating Flavorful Compound Butter Has Never Been Easier! - March 13, 2023
I’m extremely happy to find Chef Jean Pierre.Just finish caramelized onion.It comes out AMAZING!!!Love your personality and way you introducing receipe.Looking forward next one.Thanks a millions 😀
Yet another simple yet tremendous recipe from Chef Jean Pierre. My only mistake was not doubling the recipe! These will be a wonderful addition to many dishes!
Thank you Dan, carmelized onions are delicious! They can really add a lot of flavor to a recipe.
I’ve always thought I was hypersensitive to onions. I’ve tried so many different methods, even wearing swimming goggles. only to end up having to pause until my eyes stopped stinging even for me to see. I chopped two using your method and not a single tear. AMAZING!
Awesome! Thank you Susette!
I went to your YouTube channel in hopes to learn how to caramelize onions. I had already started sauteeing the onions in vegetable oil. The onions were an ingredient of mujaddara (Lebanese lentil and rice). I did add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Superb.
Tomorrow, all the onions will be carmelized per your instructions. Frozen for future use.