Sage & Orange Butter Roasted Turkey Recipe – A Twist On A Thanksgiving Classic!
This Sage and Orange Butter Roasted Turkey Recipe is a delicious twist on the traditional recipe. The sage provides a beautiful earthy flavor that complements the sweetness of the orange, and the butter helps to keep the meat moist and succulent. Roasting the turkey with the skin on also helps to protect it from drying out. As a result, this Roasted Turkey Recipe became a Thanksgiving staple for many of my cooking school students.
The sage adds a wonderful earthy flavor to the turkey, while the orange butter helps to keep the meat moist and juicy. And of course, Roasting the turkey with butter gives it a beautiful golden color. Roasting the turkey with some onions, carrots, and celery also adds some extra flavor. As an added bonus, roasting the turkey with all those vegetables and butter provides you with a beautiful foundation for a phenomenal gravy!
What are some traditional Thanksgiving side dishes?
Of course, no Thanksgiving meal would be complete without pumpkin pie for dessert. These are just a few of the most popular dishes served on Thanksgiving; in reality, there are dozens of different options to choose from.
Sage & Orange Butter Roasted Turkey
Prepare the Turkey:
- 1 15 to 20 pound Turkey, You’ll need about 1 ½ pound per person
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, cut into chunks
- 1 large Yellow Onion, cut into chunks
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh Sage and Thyme
- 2 large Orange, cut into chunks
- ¾ pound room temperature Butter
Sage & Orange Butter:
- ½ pound room temperature Butter
- 2 tablespoons Sage chopped
- 2 teaspoon Orange peel
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For the Turkey:
Preheat Oven to 325°
The turkey should be left outside of the fridge at least one hour before starting.
- Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Season the inside with salt and pepper. Stuff the inside of the bird with the apples, onion, fresh herbs and oranges.
- Carefully release the legs is they are attached together with the skin. Carefully slide your hand between the breast meat and the skin top separate MAKING SURE NOT TO BREAK THE SKIN. Rub the inside on the breast of the bird with the sage butter.
- Re-tie the legs together to hold the shape of the turkey. If you break the skin that is holding the legs together be sure to tie them back with butcher twine. GENEROUSLY Rub the entire outside of the turkey with the butter.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting pan. Cover for the first hour with an aluminum paper. Roast until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 155 degrees. The juice should come out clear. For a 15-pound turkey, bake for approximately 3 hours. Remove turkey from the oven and cover with aluminum foil. Wait 30 minutes before carving.
For the Sage & Orange Butter:
- To prepare the butter mix all ingredients in a glass bowl.
|WEIGHT||COOKING TIME (UNSTUFFED)||COOKING TIME (STUFFED)|
|6 - 7 POUNDS||2 - 2 ½ HOURS||2 ¼ - 2 ¾ HOURS|
|7 - 10 POUNDS||2 ½ - 3 HOURS||2 ¾ - 3 ½ HOURS|
|10 - 18 POUNDS||3 - 3 ½ HOURS||3 ¾ - 4 ½ HOURS|
|18 - 22 POUNDS||3 ½ - 4 HOURS||4 ½ - 5 HOURS|
|22 - 24 POUNDS||4 - 4 ½ HOURS||5 - 5 ½ HOURS|
|24 - 30 POUNDS||4 ½ - 5 HOURS||5 ½ - 6 ¼ HOURS|
|WEIGHT||COOKING TIME (UNSTUFFED)||COOKING TIME (STUFFED)|
|6 - 10 POUNDS||1 ½ - 2 HOURS||1 ¾ - 2 ½ HOURS|
|10 - 18 POUNDS||2 - 2 ½ HOURS||2 ½ - 3 ¼ HOURS|
|18 - 22 POUNDS||2 ½ - 3 HOURS||3 ¼ - 3 ¾ HOURS|
|22 - 24 POUNDS||3 – 3 ½ HOURS||3 ¾ - 4 ½ HOURS|
- Savory Beef Short Ribs Asian Style: A Culinary Masterpiece - June 1, 2023
- Chef Jean-Pierre Answers Your Questions - May 29, 2023
- Delicious Cassoulet Recipe: A Taste of French Comfort Food! - May 25, 2023
This was the best turkey I’ve ever eaten! Everyone who tried it was in awe. Also, I’m visiting Pompano Beach from Canada, and as a total coincidence, my aunt and uncle who live here went to a few of Jean-Pierre’s classes. They had so much fun!
Awesome! So glad you enjoyed the recipes! 😊
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Chef Jean-Pierre !
It’s 5:55 am on Thanksgiving morning up here in New England.
Getting ready to prep my 21 lb turkey for the oven. Mise en place is ready. Looking forward to using this recipe !
It does look amazing !
Thank you, Tom! Thanksgiving in New England must be beautiful! Sunny and warm here in Florida!!
We did a test run on a ten pound turkey two days ago. It was excellent! We are ready for a sixteen pounder tomorrow. Great video. I will be watching and trying more.
Thank you, John!
Thanks for the recipe Chef Pierre, this is my first turkey I cook by my own, I could find all fresh thyme, so I got dry one, I hope it doesn’t change the flavor that much, I got a 17 lb turkey that has been only 3 days thawing, but I have no more time, pray for this turkey to be cook nicely please. Thanks again, and God bless you always!
Hi Carmen, I bet you did great!
To the family Jean-Pierre, just discovered This Magnificent chef and his attitude toward food. Thank you so much for continuing with his vision in making cooking fun and Tastefully perfect. I wish I would have known more about his school and I’m sorry to hear that it is closed. God bless his entire family.
Thank you, Gena! My school may be closed but I am continuing with YouTube!
My turkey and gravy was perfect last year. I like the idea of making my gravy the day before.
I’ve been asked to cook the bird again. !
Thank you, Lori. Happy Thanksgiving!
Dear Chef Pierre, Thank you for this recipe and the upbeat video. I have personally been dealing with a lot of loss and change this year and became a caregiver for a family member. It has taken a toll and is very wearing but the reason I tell you this is that I found your Turkey video and was so delighted by your attitude and presentation that I am going to try it this year at our Thanksgiving. You have have given us something fun to look forward to. I am so excited to try your recipe and just wanted to note that you have such a fine effect on others – I appreciate you. Keep the videos coming and stay wonderful <3
Thank you so much Jo-Ellen for the kind words, I appreciate you! Life is a challenge, especially as a caregiver. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Love you Chef Pierre, I have watched your videos over and over again, you are AMAZING!!! Making this turkey for my Thanksgiving Dinner this year, thank you for the wonderful recipe!!!
Thank you, Peggie, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!