Traditional Chicken Fricassee is a classic French dish that typically consists of chicken pieces simmered in a white wine sauce with mushrooms, and onions. I love serving it with mashed potatoes or even over polenta.
Chicken Fricassee is a popular choice for both casual and formal dinners. It can be made ahead of time and reheated, making it ideal for busy weeknights. Chicken Fricassee is also relatively easy to make, making it a great option when you want to impress your guests with a homemade meal.
How to Make Chicken Fricassee – A Hearty French Chicken Stew Recipe
- 4 tablespoons Sweet Butter
- 4 Chicken Thighs and 4 Legs bone-in and skinless (may use bone in breasts)
- I large Onion diced
- 1/4 pound small fresh Button Mushrooms quartered—not sliced
- 12 small Whole Garlic Cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh Thyme Leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh Sage Leaves chopped
- 2 cups Chardonnay
- 2 cups Chicken Stock or enough to submerge the chicken
- 2 tablespoons fresh Lemon Juice
- 24 approximately Baby Carrots cut in half if larger then ¼ inch in diameter
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg freshly ground
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ¼ cup Flour to thicken
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh Parsley chopped
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons butter. Brown the chicken pieces until golden on all sides. Reserve the chicken.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons butter. Add the onions and sauté until golden brown. Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper, and sauté for a few minutes until they have released their water. Add the garlic, and when fragrant, add the thyme and sage, the Chardonnay, and reduce for 5 minutes or until about ½ reminds.
- Add the chicken stock, lemon juice, carrots, nutmeg and cream.
- Bring to a simmer and add the flour like the Chef did in the video.
- Add chicken pieces (be sure to submerge the meat). Cook slowly for about 45 minutes to one hour or until chicken comes off the bone easily. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped fresh parsley. Serve with mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or rice pilaf.
You can find the items below used in making this dish at our online store!
Please be sure to share this recipe with friends and family! Thank you!
- The Best Shrimp and Lobster Bisque – A Seafood Lover’s Dream! - March 20, 2023
- Stuffed Chicken Breast Wrapped in Bacon! - March 16, 2023
- Creating Flavorful Compound Butter Has Never Been Easier! - March 13, 2023