French Style Upside Down Apple Pie Recipe the Whole Family Will Love!
Today I have an exciting dessert, a Tarte Tatin Recipe! I’m going to share with you a twist to the traditional Apple Pie Recipe. A recipe for Tarte Tatin, which is actually an upside down Apple Pie. Absolutely delicious, especially when served with vanilla ice cream and a caramel sauce!
The Tarte Tatin recipe was created by mistake back in the 1800s at the hotel Tatin in Lamotte-Beuvron, Loir-et-Cher, France. The Tarte Tatin sisters, Stéphanie and Caroline Tatin, were preparing an apple dessert when Stéphanie left the apples cooking for too long on the stovetop.
Seeing that the apples were burning, she quickly put puff pastry on top of them and popped it in the oven, hoping that it would salvage the dish. But what came out was something even better – a golden and flaky tart with caramelized apples on top. And so, the Tarte Tatin was born!
Today, this delicious upside-down tart is enjoyed all over the world. It is made by first caramelizing sugar and butter in a pan, then adding apples, and finally topping with dough. The whole thing is then baked in the oven until the dough is golden brown and the apples are cooked through.
Tarte Tatin can be served on its own, but I prefer it with vanilla ice cream. while the dish may seem complicated, it’s actually quite simple to make at home with this Tarte Tatin recipe. Once you’ve mastered the technique, you’ll be able to impress your friends and family with this delicious dessert.
Jump to Printable Recipe
Tarte Tatin Recipe
- 5 to 6 peeled and cored Granny Smith Apples, cut into quarters and kept in lemon water until ready to use
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 4 ounces Butter
- Apple Jelly or Apricot Jam
- Powdered Sugar
Preheat Oven to 425°F / 220°C
- Make the dry caramel in an oven proof non-stick fry pan. Heat about 1/3 of the sugar at medium heat. When the sugar turns golden brown, add 1/3 cup more sugar and when all golden brown add the reminder sugar and cook until all Dark golden brown (mahogany color). Turn the heat off, add the butter mix well and let it cool for about 15/20 minutes.
- Arrange the apples and cover them with the dough like the chef did in the video. Using a fork prick the dough a few times and bake for 25 minutes or until the dough is light golden brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and turn upside down in a large plate. To make the apples shine brush some warm apple jelly or apricot jam. Dust with powered sugar and serve with Vanilla ice cream
- DO NOT FORGET TO PUT A COOKIE SHEET IN THE BUTTOM OF YOUR OVEN TO CATCH THE BUBBLY CARAMEL THAT MAY ESCAPE FROM YOUR PAN
Please share this recipe with family and friends! Thank you!
- My Best Gazpacho Soup Recipe: Chilled to Perfection - August 24, 2023
- Simply The Best Deviled Eggs Recipe: Eggstraordinary! - August 21, 2023
- How To Make Crème Fraiche: Creamy & Delicious! - August 20, 2023