Turkey Giblets and Cognac Gravy
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 or 3 Turkey necks and giblets legs, wings or any part of the turkey
- 1 cup diced Onions
- ½ cup diced Shallots
- 2 or 3 springs of Sage roughly chopped
- 2 or 3 springs of Thyme roughly chopped
- 3 cups very flavorful Beef stock
- 3 cups very flavorful Chicken stock
- ¼ cup flour or whatever you need to get it to the right thickness
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup cognac optional
- Turkey Stock:
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. When hot, add the turkey necks, and sauté for 20 minutes (OR HOWEVER LONG IS NECESSARY TO GET THEM DARK GOLDEN BROWN).
- The Gravy:
- In a sauce pan or a Dutch oven, add the onion and when golden brown, add the shallots and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the browned turkey neck (above recipe). Add the Sage, thyme, stock and Immerge a fine mesh strainer in the gravy and add the flour and using a whisk incorporate the flour (add more flour if needed it). Cook at medium heat for about 2 hours.
- Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper; add the cognac to your liking. If the consistency if too thin add cornstarch, if the consistency is too thick add more stock.
Latest posts by Chef Jean-Pierre (see all)
- The Best Shrimp and Lobster Bisque – A Seafood Lover’s Dream! - March 20, 2023
- Stuffed Chicken Breast Wrapped in Bacon! - March 16, 2023
- Creating Flavorful Compound Butter Has Never Been Easier! - March 13, 2023
A funny anecdote about this amazing gravy: I was all prepared to cook it along with my first ever thanksgiving dinner. Turkey was in the oven, doorbell rang. My LA Sister had sent an entire tday dinner. My girlfriend was quite happy since I didn’t have to proceed with the stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce. We went out for a drink instead while said turkey cooked, I expressed trepidation. She said ‘no babe it is Fresh Direct I am sure it is great’. Upon return from home I read the ingredients which included ascorbic acid and granulated garlic powder. i said no WAY! I used it as a turkey au jus along with the amazing beef broth I had bought for the occassion. When she really pushed back was when I started with the turkey neck. She said ‘no way’ and started warming up the other jar of Fresh Direct gravy AND some german boillion gravy she ‘loved’. I smiled and said ‘I can alreeady foresee dinner’.
Fast fwd 2 hours; she poured out her own gravy Fresh Direct and basically fought the table tooth and nail for this one. It was truly amazing. Pan drippings indee
Last Thanksgiving we served this recipe. Applauds and accolades all around! Preparing it again for Thanksgiving 2022. Family gathering of 16.
We are delighted to offer this quality of gravy at our family table.
Thank you, Cynthia! 16 people is a lot of mouths to feed. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!