Turkey Giblets and Cognac Gravy
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 or 3 Turkey necks and giblets legs, wings or any part of the turkey
- 1 cup diced Onions
- ½ cup diced Shallots
- 2 or 3 springs of Sage roughly chopped
- 2 or 3 springs of Thyme roughly chopped
- 3 cups very flavorful Beef stock
- 3 cups very flavorful Chicken stock
- ¼ cup flour or whatever you need to get it to the right thickness
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup cognac optional
- Turkey Stock:
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. When hot, add the turkey necks, and sauté for 20 minutes (OR HOWEVER LONG IS NECESSARY TO GET THEM DARK GOLDEN BROWN).
- The Gravy:
- In a sauce pan or a Dutch oven, add the onion and when golden brown, add the shallots and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the browned turkey neck (above recipe). Add the Sage, thyme, stock and Immerge a fine mesh strainer in the gravy and add the flour and using a whisk incorporate the flour (add more flour if needed it). Cook at medium heat for about 2 hours.
- Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper; add the cognac to your liking. If the consistency if too thin add cornstarch, if the consistency is too thick add more stock.