- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Yellow Onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup Leeks, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup Celery, cut into small chunks
- 1 Green Pepper, diced very fine
- 1 Red Pepper, diced very fine
- 5 to 8 whole cloves Garlic, depending on the size
- ½ cup Dark Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Maple Balsamic Vinegar or any good balsamic
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dried Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Chipotle Chilies in adobo sauce
- 2 cups Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups Ketchup
- 2 Habanero's, or any hot chili pepper of your choice chili peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 to 3 cups Beef Stock
- ¼ teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- Maple-flavored Bourbon whiskey we use Cooper’s Mark, TO YOUR LIKING I put just enough to be able to taste in the background
- In a heavy-duty saucepan heat the olive oil. Add the chopped onions and sweat them for 5 minutes until a golden brown. Add the leeks, celery and all the peppers and sweat for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and when fragrant add all the remaining ingredients. Except.
- Let reduce on medium to low heat for 45 to 60 minutes. And add the liquid smoke and the Bourbon.
- Blend in a blender or use an immersion blender and puree to a very fine texture.
- For extra-smooth texture, strain through a fine sieve. At the end you can always add a little butter to make smoother and silkier sauce.