Sweet Potato, Caramelized Onion & Apple Cider Bisque
All cooking times and measurements are approximate depending on the size of your pot.
For the Soup:
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Olive Oil
- 4 cups Onions big dice
- 2 to 3 cups Leeks, white and light green only chopped
- 4 cups Celery chopped
- 4 to 5 cups Sweet Potatoes chopped
- 2 cups Granny Smith diced
- 5 to 7 whole cloves of Garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- ¼ cup Tamari or regular Soy Sauce
- 2 cups Apple Cider
- 8 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Apple Brandy, optional
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For the Salsa:
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Olive Oil
- 2 cups approximately Onion diced small
- 2 cups approximately Sweet Potatoes diced small
- 2 cups approximately Corn
- 2 tablespoons Parsley chopped
For the Decoration:
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream or ½ and ½
- 1 or 2 dash of Hot Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Makes 8 to 10 Servings
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and when hot, add the onions. When onions are light golden brown, add the leeks, celery, sweet potatoes, apples, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, apple cider and stocks. Bring to a boil and simmer for 60 to 90 minutes, or until all vegetables are cooked all the way through.
- Using an immersion blender puree the soup until very smooth. Add the cream, Brandy and adjust seasonings.
Onion, Corn & Sweet Potato Salsa:
- In a frying pan add the olive oil, when hot add the onions and cook until light golden brown, add the potatoes and corn. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Sour Cream for Decoration:
- Mix all ingredients until just liquid enough to dispense through a squeeze bottle to use for decoration.