For the Mashed Potatoes: click here
Coquille St. Jacques
- 2 cups Mashed Potatoes
- 4 to 6 tablespoons Sweet Butter
- 3 large Shallots minced very fine
- ½ pound Mushrooms sliced
- 1 lbs. Sea Scallops, about 3 to 4 per person depending on their size
- ¼ cup White Vermouth, OPTIONAL
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cup Milk
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup grated Gruyère or Good quality Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons Cognac
- ½ cup Panko mixed with ½ cup of Reggiano
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat Oven to 375F / 190C
- Using a piping bag fitted with a star tip, pipe the WARM mash potatoes around the outside parameter of each individuals serving dish. You could use shells or individuals baking ramekins like a cream brulee dish and reserve.
- In a frying pan, heat some 2 tablespoons butter, add the shallots sauté for a couple minutes, add the mushrooms salt and pepper and cook until they have released all their water and add the scallops and cook for 3 to 5 minutes depending on their size. When cooked add just a little white vermouth if you have it. If not just skip that ingredient. And DO NOT REPLACE WITH ANYTHING.
- In a sauce pan, heat some 4 tablespoons butter, when hot add the flour and cook for a couple minutes. Do not brown the flour we need the sauce to remind white. Add the milk a little bit at a time, like the chef does it in the video. DO NOT ADD ALL THE MILK AT ONCE! Check your consistency! You want it to be thick but liquid enough to accept the cheese without been TOO thick. Add the cayenne, the Cognac (if you have it). Add the Gruyere and adjust the consistency of your sauce just the way you like it!
- Fill each serving with the cooked scallops and top with some of the sauce to cover the scallops, sprinkle Reggiano, Panko and a light touch of paprika Paprika.
- Bake until golden brown, it should not take more than 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle just a touch of chopped parsley if you have to decorate at the last minute.
Note from the Chef:
- If you are making the Coquilles in advance refrigerate before baking them. Just be sure to cover lightly with plastic wrap.
- To reheat Preheat Oven to 375F / 190C. It may take 20 minutes to get to an inside temperature of 150F.
- Bon Appetit!
For the Non-Stick Fry Pan: click here For the Reduction / Saucier Pan: click here
Latest posts by Chef Jean-Pierre (see all)
- The Best Shrimp and Lobster Bisque – A Seafood Lover’s Dream! - March 20, 2023
- Stuffed Chicken Breast Wrapped in Bacon! - March 16, 2023
- Creating Flavorful Compound Butter Has Never Been Easier! - March 13, 2023